Monday, August 2, 2010

Task 2: My Design Career



Ever since I was young I have always been fascinated by how objects were made and put together. I would always enjoy pulling apart broken products and reassembling them to its former state and trying to fix it while I was at it. With my curiosity of how things worked I pursued a career in engineering.
So for the first one and a half years of my tertiary study I’ve been studying engineering, gruelling away at maths and physics… I was getting bored of it and at a fast rate and wanted to pursue in something else but I had no idea what to change to. But during one of my units in engineering we needed to work with students from other faculties including construction management and industrial design as they are all closely bonded. After having a guest lecture from an industrial design coordinator talk to us I was very intrigued at what industrial design was about and wanted to learn more, since then I’ve always seen industrial designers as being aesthetic engineers. The more I looked into industrial design the more I wanted to do it. I’ve always wanted to do something that was hands on and design based so industrial design was a perfect choice as you get to do design products and make models.
As I was transferring during mid year there was only one uni that offered industrial design which was at UWS. Since I didn’t want to spend the rest of the year doing nothing I spent the time studying at UWS. While I was there I learnt how to do perspective drawings, use photoshop/illustrator and learnt about different material processing techniques.
After studying a semester at UWS I wanted to transfer to UNSW seeking a better social environment and better teaching. Other reasons for choosing to study at UNSW was because I’ve always had the idea that it was one of the best universities for design as they homed COFA the College of Fine Arts.
In the future I see myself working for a big time design consultancy designing products for the public, it would be such a thrill to see everyday people interact with products that I have designed, it would be a dream to build up my own design firm and work freelance.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to see you are working your way from UWS to UNSW, although it is only a letter of difference, the social and teaching are different, I wish you all the best, and work your way up for a good career.

    ReplyDelete