Monday, August 2, 2010

Task 1: Shape of a Scent

In our group of six we were tasked to characterize the scent we were given in order to create a bottle/sculpture that captures the essence of the smell out of plasticine.

For our groups scent we received a perfume which had a very strong initial smell which faded slowly, it was floral and feminine. When first smelling the perfume it reminded me of a field of flowers softly being blown by a summer breeze.

I tried to capture both of these elements in my design by giving my sculpture a curved feel. To capture the strong to subtle smell i opted to divide my sculpture into equal parts where i would use patterns to interpret the different levels of smell. The bottom layer was scored with jagged lines which resembled the strong in your face hit, the next level up was circular lines which shows how it slowly transcends while the next level up are waved lines which resemble the subtle softness of the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment